McCoy Game/ Article on Afro Futurism

 Tyra Alexander

30 October 2023

EN*376

Dr. Ellis

Article on AfroFuturism/ The McCoy Game


After reading the article on Afrofuturism, I initially became very eager to visit the Exhibit at the African American History Museum. Next, What stuck out to me the most was Trayvon Martin’s flight suit. I first became very emotional seeing the suit given that his life was taken so soon and my heart ached wondering what his future could have been and how an amazing aviator he would’ve been. But that just reminded me what Afrofuturism is. Afrofuturism does exquisitely highlight a black utopia like in Black Panther or The Wiz. However, Afrofuturism does show this pain. For example, Black Panther does display how successful an African civilization could be. However, an important conflict in the film is the outside parties trying to colonize the country of Wakanda and inherit a tool that is indigenous to the land. With The Wiz, themes of modern day slavery arise with Evillene and her sweatshops. So although both films and other forms of media act as a catalyst for Black liberation and representation, it’s important to note how these matters of black pain still exist amongst the utopia. 

    Moving on, my initial thoughts on The McCoy Game is that I found it to be a very fun story that revolves around the subject of family. One parallel specifically that I saw was with this story and Children of Blood and Bone; the solutions to both stories is what is within rather than something physical. I suppose this might be a common theme once we continue reading other texts. And although this may be an “obvious” thing, I find it interesting how a character has to go through all this trouble to realize that they already possessed the key that they needed all along.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LaValle Reflection

Adeyemi 2nd Weekly Reflection

LaVelle Reflection, We Travel the Spaceways