LaGuardia Reflection

The aspect of this graphic novel that stood out to me the most was the visualization of the future. This is probably fairly obvious as most of our work this semester has been traditional written word, but seeing the future before my eyes was very beneficial. I have not read a lot of science fiction, so visualizing the futures of these stories has always been very difficult for me. Most of the futures I have imagined and the ways that I pictured our class’s texts is one centered around silver and metal. There was always something cold and distant about the future. This totally contrasts Okorafor’s vision of the future and I love that. It brought me such joy to see a future where the world is so bright and colorful. I also love, especially given our current environmental situation, to see how central plants are. Although they are as alien as they are plants, it still provides a lot of hope for the planet.

I also thought the use of aliens in the novel and their parallel to immigration in our world today was fascinating. Even the use of the word alien in our society now has created the connection between those who have come to a country and the feeling of being othered and viewed as an outsider. This sentiment is heartbreaking to consider, and Okorafor’s decision to highlight it in this way was brilliant. The sympathy that she forces you to have for these characters, especially seeing their experiences first hand in the drawings, really allows for empathy. This is what I think makes the novel so powerful, and why I love the choice to make it a visual as much as a piece of written work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LaValle Reflection

Adeyemi 2nd Weekly Reflection

LaVelle Reflection, We Travel the Spaceways